Jun 16, 2024  
2018-2019 Course Catalog 
2018-2019 Course Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Record Policies and Procedures

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search

Transcript of academic work

Undergraduate and graduate
Students may obtain their unofficial transcript online at www.usj.edu/student_life/resources_and_services/registrar_office/transcripts.html. Students must request official transcripts in writing. A $4 fee is charged for each official transcript. All indebtedness to the University must be adjusted before an official transcript of credits will be released. Official transcripts bearing the University seal may be:

1. Sent by the University directly to the intended recipient


2. Picked up by the student

Transcript requests will be processed and mailed within 5 days upon receipt of a written request.

No changes will be made to the official transcripts of graduated students unless there is sufficient proof of an error on the transcript. Documentation to support the claim of an error must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Registrar within six months of the date of graduation from the University.

Change of address

Undergraduate and graduate
Students are responsible for notifying the registrar’s office in writing of a change to their legal residence. Post office boxes are not considered legal addresses.

Change of name

Undergraduate and graduate
Students are responsible for providing the registrar’s office with official documentation of a legal name change. Official name changes requested after a semester has begun will not be processed until the last day of final exams.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

Undergraduate and graduate

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford students certain rights with respect to their education records.

These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.


2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.


3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.


4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Table of Contents Page 22 Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-4605 Directory Information Institutions may disclose information on a student without violating FERPA if it has designated that information as “directory information.” University of Saint Joseph defines directory information as: · Name · Address (permanent vs. on-campus) · Telephone Number · Major field of study · Dates of Attendance · Current enrollment status (full/part time) · Class standing · Receipt or non-receipt of a degree · Academic awards received (Dean’s List, honor roll) Prior written consent from the student is required before releasing non-directory information (other than the above). University of Saint Joseph may release directory information to educational officials unless written notification to not release directory information is on file in the Registrar’s Office (1st Floor, McDonough Hall). FERPA has been amended to no longer prohibit post-secondary institutions from disclosing to parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 21 information regarding alcohol or other drugs.


FERPA directory information opt-out

If you do not want the university to disclose directory information from your education records without your prior written consent, you must complete a form and return it to the Registrar’s office (1st Floor, McDonough Hall). Your information will not be released from the time we receive your form until the request is rescinded. If directory information is released prior to receiving your opt-out request, the university may not be able to stop the use of your information. Therefore, it is recommended that you file the opt-out form at registration. Please complete the FERPA Directory Information Opt-Out form (available in the Registrar’s office) if you do not wish to have your directory information disclosed to third parties. Upon receipt, your request will remain in effect until such time as you tell the Registrar’s office that you no longer wish to keep your information private. Prior to filing your request, please consider all the consequences of opting out. For example, if you tell the Registrar’s office not to disclose your directory information to third parties, they will not share your information with anyone (except persons who have a right to see your information under the law), including persons or agencies offering jobs and educational benefits such as scholarships and discounts; media sources; companies that manufacture class rings and publish yearbooks, etc. Also note that if you have requested that the Registrar’s office not disclose your directory information, but you would like to have your name appear in the University commencement program, you must provide signed written consent prior to that time.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search