The computer and Data Science program is designed to prepare students for employment in both computer science and data science. This combination of skills is highly attractive to employers who are increasingly inclined to use data-driven and evidence-based decision making. As a Computer and Data Science major, students will combine coursework and internship experience to gain practical skills in areas such as computer programming, application development, data analysis, data mining, and machine learning, which will give them a competitive edge in the job market.
- Develop strong problem solving abilities
- Demonstrate strong programming skills, including proficiency with at least two programming languages and familiarity with current software development tools
- Demonstrate proficiency in performing data analysis and data mining tasks including the selection of the most appropriate algorithms and software tools
- Design and create databases and use them in applications
- Demonstrate the ability to design, build and evaluate software packages utilizing theories of design and the appropriate data structures and algorithms
- Communicate technical concepts and information in a clear, concise, meaningful way, both verbally and in writing
Admission and continuation requirements
A minimum grade of C- must be earned in each of the required and supporting courses, and a minimum GPA of 2.33 must be earned with all required and supporting courses.