In the Sport Management & Promotion program, you will be introduced to the most current concepts, practices, and theories related to the business of sports by industry experienced faculty. There will be a strong focus on technology, ethical values, and personal integrity.
As an undergraduate student in good academic standing (B average or better), you are permitted to take two graduate business courses in your senior year which can count toward your Management, M.S. at the University of Saint Joseph. For qualified undergraduates, the M.S. in Management is tuition-free.
Career opportunities and graduate school
Sport management and promotion majors have traditionally found employment in the areas of sport marketing, event management, venue management, sales and promotion, broadcasting, sport information, equipment management, sport operations, and coaching at all levels including little league to professional sports.
Graduates of this program will enjoy careers in industry (including professional and amateur sports), government and the not-for-profit sector.
The student will:
- Understand sport management principles at a level that provides preparation for an advanced business degree
- Put into practice those principles and skills acquired; these skills are often demonstrated in the internship(s) as well as in class
- Understand the various responsibilities of modern managers: financial management, human resources, marketing, event planning, venue management and more
- Understand the use and application of information technologies
- Understand the ethical and legal aspects of business and the role of management in these important areas
- Understand and be able to apply research methodologies used in sport management and promotion
Through careful selection of electives and interest-focused internships, students who wish to complete a coaching minor may have the opportunity to do so.