May 24, 2024  
2023-2024 Course Catalog 
2023-2024 Course Catalog

Graduate Admission

Admission process

International applications


Readmission policy

Non-Matriculated Graduates






We are so excited that you are considering furthering your career with a graduate program at the University of Saint Joseph!  The majority of graduate programs at the University of Saint Joseph admit applications year-round on a rolling admissions basis. However, several programs have their own deadlines. For more information about admission to a specific program, please contact The Office of Admissions at or 860.231.5216.

Starting the admission process

Applications for all graduate programs, with the exception of Dietetic Internship, Physician Assistant Studies, and Doctor of Pharmacy, can be found online at Once an application is submitted, applicants will have access to their Admissions Portal where applicable admission documents, including the application fee, can be submitted.

Graduate Application Requirements

Candidates for graduate degree and certificate programs must submit the following required application documents to be reviewed for admission:

  • A completed application which can be found online at
  • A non-refundable $50 application fee (payable on your Admissions Portal)
  • An official transcript showing a conferred bachelor’s degree (or master’s degree if applicable) from a regionally accredited institution
  • Official transcripts from all other institutions attended
  • Letters of recommendation (varies by program)

Each degree and certificate program may have additional application requirements listed in the catalog or USJ website. Candidates can view outstanding application documents online via their Admissions Portal.

International applications

International candidates for graduate degree programs must submit the following application documents, in addition to those listed above, to be reviewed for admission:

  • An official international transcript evaluation by a NACES member organization ( USJ recommends World Education Services (
  • Proof of English proficiency. If English is not primary language, USJ requires an overall score of 79 or higher on TOEFL iBT®, band score of 6.5 or higher on the IELTS (Academic Version), 105 on the Duolingo English Test, or an overall score of 53 on the Pearson PTE Academic Language Test. Successful completion of ELS 112 is also accepted.


The University of Saint Joseph is permitted by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service to admit non-immigrant students. The I-20 form, which is required to acquire an F-1 visa is granted at the discretion of the Designated School Official (DSO). Upon admission to a degree program, the student is issued an I-20 A/B, which is used to pursue a student visa through the American Embassy or Consulate in the student’s home country. This must be current at all times. Before an immigration form is issued, the following must be submitted to the University:

  • A copy of a valid passport (and current visa, if applicable)
  • Official Certification of Finances with supporting documentation showing funding for at least one academic year, including tuition, fees, living expenses, personal expenses, and textbooks (if funding is coming from sources other than the student, a letter of sponsorship must be written by the sponsor and sent directly to the Office of Admissions)
  • I-20 Request form
  • Any documentation required for additional, dependent visas

International students wishing to pursue a degree in an online program are not eligible for an F-1 visa. Since the degree is completed online, the student does not need to travel to campus to attend class; therefore, according to federal regulations, an F-1 visa is not granted to students completing online degree programs.

Readmission policy

Former, degree-seeking USJ graduate students must initiate contact with the University in order to request readmission to the University of Saint Joseph. Students who have not attended USJ for one academic year (2 or more semesters, excluding summer) need to complete an application for readmission, which will be reviewed by the Office of Admissions.

Students who have been in attendance within the last academic year will need to contact the Office of the Registrar.

Students who wish to return to the University of Saint Joseph after voluntarily withdrawing or being separated from the University for academic or disciplinary reasons and have not been enrolled in at least one credit-bearing course in the last academic year may apply to return to USJ upon formal completion of an application for readmission and submission of a non-refundable application fee, and may return with approval from the Office of Admission after review by the Admission Committee, which includes program-specific faculty. Readmitted students are subject to University requirements and policies in e­ffect at the date of their readmission.

If readmitted, official transcripts of academic work taken since leaving the University must be submitted to the Office of Admissions prior to the beginning of classes in the semester in which the student wishes to register. Students who were academically dismissed or administratively withdrawn must include a written statement with their reapplication stating how they are now able to be successful in their academic program.

Students are held to any changes in degree program requirements, based on the current applicable catalog, as well as current admission and progression standards. Programs may require previous coursework to be repeated, depending on the length of absence from the program.

If a student’s GPA is below the program requirement at readmission, the program director will advise the student of their probation status, and the criteria required for progression in the program.

Students will not be readmitted to the same program more than once if academically dismissed or administratively withdrawn a second time.

Readmission into a different program will follow the graduate admission process.

Non Matriculated Graduates

Candidates looking to complete coursework outside of a degree or certificate program are considered non-matriculated applicants. In order for non-matriculated applicants to register for courses, you must submit the following:

  • Non-matriculated application which can be found online at
  • Unofficial transcript from degree-granting institution, including date of degree conferral
  • Unofficial transcripts may be required from all other institutions attended that show minimum prerequisite requirements dependent on the course(s) you are looking to take

Completed applications will be reviewed and applicants will be notified of a decision if they are approved to take their selected course(s).