Jun 25, 2024  
2023-2024 Course Catalog 
2023-2024 Course Catalog

Student Record Policies and Procedures

Transcript of academic work

Undergraduate and graduate

Unofficial Transcripts:

Students may obtain their unofficial transcript online at www.usj.edu/student_life/resources_and_services/registrar_office/transcripts.html.


Official Transcripts:

Students must request official transcripts in writing or create an online account on Parchment.com. A $4.00 fee is charged for each official transcript, and additional processing fees may be charged if ordered online. All indebtedness to the University must be adjusted before an official transcript of credits will be released. Official transcripts bearing the University seal may be:

1. Sent by the University directly to the intended recipient


2. Picked up by the student

Transcript requests will be processed and mailed within 5 days upon receipt of a written request.

No changes will be made to the official transcripts of graduated students unless there is sufficient proof of an error on the transcript. Documentation to support the claim of an error must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Registrar within six months of the date of graduation from the University.

Change of address

Undergraduate and graduate
Students are responsible for notifying the registrar’s office in writing of a change to their legal residence. Post office boxes are not considered legal addresses.

Change of name

Undergraduate and graduate
Students are responsible for providing the registrar’s office with official documentation of a legal name change. A Connecticut Driver’s License, Verified License “REAL ID”, U.S. Passport, or Court Order are acceptable.  A marriage license cannot be used since it does not reflect the name change.  If a student does not have a Connecticut ID, verified or REAL ID a copy of the student’s social security card and/or birth certificate is required.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

Undergraduate and graduate

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford students certain rights with respect to their education records.

These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.


2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.


3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.


4. The right to be informed annually of their rights under the act if they are currently in attendance.


5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Table of Contents Page 22 Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-4605


Definitions: The following definitions shall apply in interpreting these regulations:

     “Attendance” includes, but is not limited to: attendance in person or by electronic technologies for students who are not physically present in the classroom

     “Educational Record” is defined as any record maintained by the University of Saint Joseph or by a person acting for the institution that is directly related to the student.  Examples would include, not limited to:

          Official transcripts of courses taken and grades received;

          Tuition and payment records;

          Student disciplinary records;

          Course records (e.g. examinations, term papers, essays);

          Employment records based on student status;

          Education records do not include the following:

              Records that in the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record (e.g. advising notes);

               Employment records that are maintained in the normal course of business relating exclusively to the individual in that person’s capacity as an employee;

               Health care records;

               Records that contain information after he or she is no longer a student (e.g. alumni records)

     “Legitimate educational interest” exists if the information requested by the school official is necessary for the official to perform a task specified by his/her position description or contract agreement.


Directory Information: Institutions may disclose information on a student without violating FERPA if it has designated that information as “directory information.” University of Saint Joseph defines directory information as:

· Name

· Address (permanent vs. on-campus)

· Telephone Number

· Major field of study

· Dates of Attendance

· Current enrollment status (full/part time)

· Class standing

· Receipt or non-receipt of a degree

· Academic awards received (Dean’s List, honor roll)

Prior written consent from the student is required before releasing non-directory information (other than the above). University of Saint Joseph may release directory information to educational officials unless written notification to not release directory information is on file in the Registrar’s Office (1st Floor, McDonough Hall). FERPA has been amended to no longer prohibit post-secondary institutions from disclosing to parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 21 information regarding alcohol or other drugs.


FERPA directory information opt-out

If you do not want the university to disclose directory information from your education records without your prior written consent, you must complete a FERPA Directory Information Opt-out form and return it to the Registrar’s office (1st Floor, McDonough Hall). Your information will not be released from the time we receive your form until the request is rescinded. If directory information is released prior to receiving your opt-out request, the university may not be able to stop the use of your information. Upon receipt, your request will remain in effect until such time as you tell the Registrar’s office that you no longer wish to keep your information private. Prior to filing your request, please consider all the consequences of opting out. For example, if you tell the Registrar’s office not to disclose your directory information to third parties, they will not share your information with anyone (except persons who have a right to see your information under the law), including persons or agencies offering jobs and educational benefits such as scholarships and discounts; media sources; companies that manufacture class rings and publish yearbooks, etc. Also note that if you have requested that the Registrar’s office not disclose your directory information, but you would like to have your name appear in the University commencement program, you must provide signed written consent prior to that time.