The Bachelor of Science in Public Health prepares students to identify the health needs of communities, promote health and reduce health disparities while carrying out the core function of Public Health. Students learn public health’s foundational domains and competencies with a solid foundation in the liberal arts and natural sciences. The program will prepare students to make a positive difference in the world by promoting health equity and is directly in line with the USJ mission and core values.
Public health emphasizes the prevention of health problems before they occur and focuses on the health of populations and communities. Students will gain practical skills to compete in the job market and be well-prepared for many graduate programs, including a Master of Public Health.
With the growing public health workforce shortages, public health professionals will continue to be in high demand, and the outlook for job placement is high. The need for offering an entry-level baccalaureate degree is strongly supported by the Council on Public Health Education, health departments, and public health organizations. Public health professionals work to protect and improve communities’ health through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, policies, and research and evaluation for disease and injury prevention.
- To prepare students with the knowledge and skills necessary to assist with the prevention of disease and injury and the promotion of health from local communities to communities across the world
- To train students to advocate for public policies that improve access to quality, affordable and culturally appropriate health care and promote health equity
- To equip students with the knowledge and skills to improve health literacy of residents in the community in which they serve
- To provide students with an integrative, undergraduate public health program, compliant with general and liberal arts education
- To prepare students to practice as public health professionals with an understanding of the intersectionality and interrelationships among multiple determinants and correlates of health
Grade Requirements for Public Health Majors:
Students in Public Health must earn a minimum grade of C or better in each core required Public Health course to continue in the major.